Voting open for Athlete of the Year: Eligible members will have received an email inviting them to rank their top three nominated athletes in a Survey Monkey poll (1 for first choice, 2 for second, etc), closing date Friday, 15 November Noon. Our nominees are: Julia Barham, Neil Byford, Paul Dennis, Sophie Eadsforth and Greg Hopkinson. The email with the voting link was sent on 30 October; please check your Spam if you have not seen this in your in-box or get in touch.
It’s the Single Gravs Handicap on Wednesday 20th November – meet at Trent Vale Sports Ground, Beeston Rylands NG9 1ND, first runner off at 6.30 pm. The ‘prize’ giving will be at 7.30 pm at the Marina Bar followed by the AGM starting at 8.00 pm approx.
Paul Dennis is the guest handicapper. Please help Paul by letting him to know as soon as possible if you intend running by contacting him via email putting Single Gravs in the title/subject line – firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for entries: Friday 15 November. If you would like to be a marshal, please let Paul or Simon know, he will need a few volunteers.
This is a head torch run and a lead bike will be provided for the first runner off so they aren’t running alone in the dark! We look forward to seeing many Beestonites competing for the final club handicap of the year! Runners will be issued with a race number to make it easier to manage the finish. Please BRING YOUR OWN SAFETY PINS!
Please do not park near the gates to the football ground as the pitches may well be in use. The revised route is attached (to be run anti clockwise).
1. Club runs 1 November to 6 November inclusive
Friday, 8 November – there will be a training run from Chilwell Olympia; meet in the foyer at 6.25 for a 6.30 pm depart. Distance 5-7 miles, usually drinks after in the Crown from around 9.00 pm. Further information on Facebook. Remember to wear hi-viz!
Saturday, 9 November – Beeston parkrun, 9.00 am at the Weirfields, Beeston Rylands NG9 1LZ http://www.parkrun.org.uk/beeston/.
Sunday, 10 November – the Sunday run will be from Tony’s Café, Beeston Marina as it’s the second Sunday in the month, (meeting time at 8.50 am to start at 9.00 am), further details to follow on Facebook. We will be heading out towards the Nottingham direction in the hope that the paths will be drier that way!
Tuesday, 12 November speed: Meet at the Chilwell Lane tram stop at 6.15 pm; we will then run along to Ghost House Lane/Eskdale Drive tram stop. Further details to follow on Facebook.
Tuesday, 12 November: Tuesday Rebel Runners, Chilwell, The Village Hotel: This is usually a 5K run (sometimes with other options); details of the run are posted weekly on the Rebel Runners Facebook page. Meet 6.30 pm in the foyer for 6.40 pm depart. An 8-week couch to 5K programme is under way.
2. Upcoming Races on the Calendar
Cross country: Saturday 9 November, West Glebe Park, Corby NN17 1SZ (North Mids)
Fell: Sunday, 10 November, Roaches, Meerbrook ST13 8SL, 10.30 am – note full kit required (water proofs, hat, gloves, compass and whistle). £6 entry on the day
Road: Sunday, 17 November, Derby 10: 10 am, Derby Velodrome DE24 8JB (sold out)
Cross country: Saturday 7 December, Shipley Park, Heanor DE75 7GX (North Mids)
Cross country: Saturday, 4 January 2020 (Shipley) County Championships PLEASE NOTE ENTRIES NOW OPEN AT https://www.nottsaaa.org/node/174 cost £5 (log in required). Closing date 12 December for entries
Cross country: Sunday, 5 January 2020 (Bramcote) (East Mids)
Cross country: 11 January, Wollaton Park (North Mids)
Cross country: 12 January, Holme Pierrepont (East Mids)
Cross country: 2 February, Colwick (East Mids)
Cross country: 9 February West Park, Long Eaton (East Mids)
Road race league information is located on the Club website at: http://beestonac.com/events/category/events/bac-road-race-league-2019 . The fell race calendar is available at http://beestonac.com/cross-country-races.
3. Social events and other items
– Christmas Party: This will be on Friday, 6 December, Village Hotel Chilwell. We have a special price for the Wham! Tribute of £25 per head. Jane Lewis’s bank details are: sort code 40-47-87 account 52679035. Please add your name as a reference. There is a free room on offer for the evening; you will be put in the draw if you buy your ticket before Friday 29th November.
– Christmas ‘Mystery’ pub crawl: this will be on Wednesday 11 December departing Beeston, 7.00 pm. Venue accessible by bus, tram, train or paddleboard! Further details nearer the time. Will our paddle boarders be coming down the river/canal?!
5. AGM: The AGM will take place on Wednesday, 20 November following the Single Gravs Handicap at Beeston Marina. The AGM agenda will be circulated a couple of days before the meeting. Are you interested in taking on the Social Secretary role? Jane Lewis can give further information to anyone who fancies this.
6. London Marathon Ballot: the Club has 2 entries for the 2020 London Marathon and names will be drawn out of a hat at the AGM. If you have a rejection letter or email and would like to be included in the Club ballot, please email Mark Rowlson. In order to be eligible you must be a first claim paid up member, have proof of rejection, been a member for a least a year prior to the draw and not run in the London Marathon in the previous two years.
7. Congratulations to everyone who ran at the weekend, including those at the National Cross Country Championships and any other races.
8. Kit orders: Club kit – we're about to order some more blue buffs so have the opportunity to get t-shirts, long sleeve t-shirts and the international vest / t-shirt (if there is enough demand) as well. If you'd like any of these please let Simon know ASAP with size (see the website for size details). Please order by Sunday 10 November.
9. Lakeland Fell Race: for those who have expressed interest in going to this weekend prices are (over 26 years old): bed only £82, B&B £88, BB and Dinner £98. Accommodation will be shared rooms private to Beeston AC in a youth hostel. Please can you pay your deposit of £17.60 to Phil Herd by 10 November, using your name as a reference. Bank details are: 07-02-46 27690214.
10. Club Run: The Club has been successful in a bid under the England Athletics Club Run programme (see https://www.englandathletics.org/clubs-and-facilities/our-programmes/club-run/ for full information). In brief, we are entitled to three coach-led sessions within a 12-week period and the dates for you to note in diaries are: Tuesday, 21 January 2020, Tuesday, 4 February and Wednesday 19th February with a back-up date of 4 March in case bad weather results in cancellation of one of the sessions. Full information will be provided later as to the plans for the sessions.
Link for checking personal information on the myATHLETICS Portal: https://myathletics.englandathletics.org/portal/members/Login/
If you have any information about races you are planning to run or any news which may be of interest to members, please pass this on to Chris for the newsletter.
Check our Facebook page for updates on routes, races, lift shares and further information. See website at http://beestonac.com/ for information about the cross country, fell and road race leagues in which we participate. Also check our Twitter account at https://twitter.com/beestonac . PBs should be notified to email@example.com , together with time, distance, date and race. If you wish to be removed from the circulation list please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.