THE WEEKLY EMAIL WILL NOT BE CIRCULATED WEEKLY FOR A WHILE UNTIL THERE ARE ITEMS TO REPORT
For everyone who has paid, your England Athletics Membership fees is being paid this week and you should receive an email from EA in the next day or two. You will not receive a new card through the mail; your registration pack will be in digital form.
By now you should all have received email notification that the fee is being held at £15 (EA had planned to raise this to £16) but the Club did keep the 2020 membership fee at the same rate as for 2019 so there is no impact for us.
A few members are still to pay their Beeston AC membership fee: the preferred method is to pay by bank transfer to account 62266253, sort code 40-10-06. It’s £20 and once you’ve paid please let Juliet Jones know. Alternatively, you can pay by cheque, payable to Beeston AC, and send to Mrs J Jones, 56 Thoresby Road, Bramcote, Nottingham NG9 3EN.
As reported last week, as a result of the current situation, it is no longer possible for the Trent 5 to go ahead; hopefully Simon and co will be able to make arrangements for the handicap races in due course.
As you will know, following advice from England Athletics, all Club events are cancelled including runs and social events. We are now running on our own – keep safe everyone, it’s great to see your runs on Strava.
Welcome: to David Cross (again!), re-joining Beeston AC: you know we’re the best club to run with!
Upcoming Races on the Calendar
So far the following races on the Club calendar have been notified as CANCELLED:
Fell: Sunday, 29th March, Wolf’s Pit
Road: Sunday 5th April, Belvoir Half Marathon, www.hosevillage.org.uk/bhm.htm
Road: Wednesday, 22 April Summer League race 1 and race 2 on 27 May – Hexgreave and Holme Pierrepont, www.nottsaaa.org
Fell: Kinder Downfall, 26 April (postponed or cancelled TBC)
Fell: Tiger’s Trail, 29 April – cancelled
Road: Sinfin 10K on 10 May
Fell: Burbage Skyline, 11 May – cancelled – date for 2021 is Tuesday, 11 May.
Holme Pierrepont Running Club have also announced that the Grand Prix is cancelled and LERC have also announced the cancellation of the Nomad.
The Club race calendar is at http://beestonac.com/events/category/events
Suggestions for training
Simon Elliott has helpfully put up some links on Facebook for supplementing the running element of training with core strengthening exercises (thanks Simon!):
Yoga / Pilates: Great for all round and core strength, balance and flexibility. These are all important things that we struggle with as we get older – but you can never be too young to start to see the benefit.
Also ‘partner yoga’ is really good fun and makes a nice change from just talking to each other about the dreaded virus stuff. Good fun with kids too!
Strengthening: My preference is for kettlebells but there’s loads of stuff out there that doesn’t require any equipment
Drills: We had an introduction with the Club Run training sessions and now’s the time to really get the hang of it and to incorporate it into your schedule. Again loads of YouTube stuff out there.
The great thing about YouTube is that each video leads to a load of alternative suggestions so it shouldn’t be difficult to find something to suit.
4. Ideas for Speed/hill Sessions (some of the favourites done on Tuesdays)
· Ghost House Lane – Start at the bottom of the Lane and run up hard, turn right at top and run along Eskdale Drive to the corner, turn right and run all the way down, turn right on to Field Lane, jog along here to recover to bottom of Ghost House Lane – then repeat 4 – 6 times.
· A favourite – 6 x 3 minutes as fast as you can, with 1 minute recovery in between. We normally do this at Moor Lane track but you can use other roads/canal paths etc so an easy one to set up (try it on grass – harder work but kinder on older bones)
· 100 metres x 20 on the minute (that was a killer!)
· One for the track – 6 x 800 metres, 2 minutes rest
· 5 x 1K with 90 seconds rest (we did this one on the Stewart Adams Bridge)
· Tramalamadingdong ie between the tram stops on Cator Lane and Bramcote Lane – 4 x 400 metres with 60 seconds rest, 2 x 800 metres with 90 seconds rest, 4 x 400 metres with 60 seconds rest
· Jubilee Avenue – run up the hill to car park at top, 8 – 10 times, jog down (can use another hill!)
You may have other favourite sessions to add to the list!
Other races (assuming these go ahead):
* Entries for the Worksop Half Marathon, Sunday 25th October are now open at https://www.worksophalfmarathon.co.uk/. This is on the Club calendar and incorporates the Notts AAA County Championships.
* Entries also currently SUSPENDED for the Newstead Abbey Dash, Friday 24th July at https://www.redhillroadrunners.com/our-races Redhill Road Runners hope that the Gedling Country Park 10K will be returning on Bank Holiday Monday 31 August 2020.
Link for checking personal information on the myATHLETICS Portal: https://myathletics.englandathletics.org/portal/members/Login/
If you have any information about races you are planning to run or any news which may be of interest to members, please pass this on to Chris for the newsletter.
Check our Facebook page for updates on routes, races, lift shares and further information. See website at http://beestonac.com/ for information about the cross country, fell and road race leagues in which we participate. Also check our Twitter account at https://twitter.com/beestonac . PBs should be notified to firstname.lastname@example.org , together with time, distance, date and race. If you wish to be removed from the circulation list please contact email@example.com with your request.