1. Club runs 2 to 7 August inclusive
Friday, 2 August – there will be a training run from Chilwell Olympia; meet in the foyer at 6.25 for a 6.30 pm depart. Distance 5-7 miles. As it’s the Castle Rock 10K today, please check Facebook for details. The race is sold out but it may be possible to enter on the night if some runners do not turn up.
Saturday, 3 August – Beeston parkrun, 9.00 am at the Weirfields, Beeston Rylands NG9 1LZ http://www.parkrun.org.uk/beeston/. It is pacer Saturday!
Sunday, 4 August – the Sunday run will be from Papplewick and will be led by Paul Dennis and Simon Elliott. The route is 11.6 miles of picturesque rolling sandy trail through Thieves Wood, Harlow Wood, Blidworth, Boot Hill, Papplewick Village and back through the edge of Newstead Abbey. The route is dry but there can be some long grass. There is about one mile on roads in total. It should take about 2 hours with the potential for a ‘fast’ group to take off with Paul at about 6 miles leaving a slower group with Simon. The idea is not to lose anyone!
The start and finish will be at the car park on Coxmoor Road (B6139), where there is plenty of parking and an excellent cafe for after the run! (Vegan options available.)
The quickest way to get there from Beeston is up the M1 to Junction 27, it should take about 30 minutes. Meet at 8.50 am, run starts at 9am prompt.
It would be a good idea to car share….. Paul and Simon hope to see a few of you joining them!
Tuesday, 6 August speed: This will be a hills session at University Park (parking/ meeting near the David Ross Sports Centre, NG7 2RD). Meet 6.15 for warm up, session starts 6.30 pm. Further details to follow on Facebook.
Tuesday, 6 August : Tuesday Rebel Runners, Chilwell, The Village Hotel: This is usually a 5K run (sometimes with other options); details of the run are posted weekly on the Rebel Runners Facebook page. Meet 6.30 pm in the foyer for 6.40 pm depart.
Wednesday, 7 August – there will be a training run from Chilwell Olympia; meet in the foyer at 6.25 for a 6.30 pm depart. Please check Facebook for updates as this is also the night for the final Summer League race of the year at Teversal with presentations after; further information below.
2. Upcoming Races on the Calendar
Fri 2nd August @ 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
University of Nottingham Sports Centre, NG7 2RD – sold out but may get a place if the organisers know of people not coming on the night.
Tue 6th August @ 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm, £5
Peak District: Parwich DE6 1QA
Wed 7th August @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Teversal Grange, Carnarvon Street, Teversal, Sutton-in-Ashfield Nottinghamshire, NG17 3HJ. Parking will be in either the car park or field and the café will be open before and after the race. The bowls club toilets will be available before the run. Good luck everyone!
Road race league information is located on the Club website at: http://beestonac.com/events/category/events/bac-road-race-league-2019 . The fell race calendar is available at http://beestonac.com/cross-country-races.
3. Other upcoming races
Message from Simon Elliott re Trent Lock Challenge: This year’s Trent Lock Challenge takes place on Wednesday August 21st from the old Plessey Sports Ground on Trent Vale Road. The format and route is the same as last year, run to Trent Lock and back having stated your anticipated time and having run with no timing device ie watch, phone or GPS. The route is 10.3 miles or 16.6 km.
Last year’s winner was Greg Hopkinson who got within 25 seconds of his prediction.
Fastest last year was Joe Gallagher in 68.11 and the all-time record is 57.51 by Roger Woodward way back in 1976.
Because of the large number of runners interested in the event, I propose to set you off in two starts. Anyone anticipating taking longer than 85 minutes will start at 6.15 pm, those predicting faster than 85 mins will start 10 minutes later at 6.25. This split start should mean less bunching at the start, particularly through the Marina and will also mean that the slower runners towards the back of the field will not be running on their own so much as the faster runners come through.
Remember, this is not a race, the Challenge is to complete the course in as close to your predicted time as possible, without the benefit of a watch etc. The person closest to their prediction will receive the prestigious trophy and possibly a silly prize!
If you are likely to run, it would be really useful to know in advance, just send me an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org . Then just turn up on the night, with your name and predicted time on a piece of paper and run! The course and photo are available on the website http://beestonac.com/trent-lock-challenge . The event is open to Beeston AC first and second claim members only. Any other questions just ask or get in contact, otherwise let me know if you want to enter and I look forward to seeing you on the night.
* The third race in the Notts AAA Fell County Championships takes place on 31st August; this is a message from Dicky Wilkinson the Organiser: Chrome Hill results now on Notts AAA website. The final Notts AAA 2019 individual champs race ( best 2 results from 3 [or exceptionally 1 race only]) & the one off team champs race for men & women (first 3 of any age to count per club) are at the Longshaw race on August 31st at 10.30am. Distance = 8.6km (5.3miles) with 320m (1050ft) of climb & this is in 'proper' fell terrain so studded fell shoes are advised. Entry to the sheepdog trials is £5 & includes the race entry fee. Register at the race desk THEN at the Notts desk & bring full kit of waterproof top (with hood) & leggings both with taped seams, hat & gloves, compass, whistle & race map, & emergency food ie gels / flapjack / choc bar etc. Race map & details (which you MUST read) are here:
Full Notts Fell Champs rules are available on the Notts AAA website fell running section. It is expected that runners have read, understand & adhere to the runners rules found in the FRA race guide / website.
Please arrive in good time as this is a popular race & long queues at registration can occur. Notts medal presentations asap after the race. Drinks incl. real ale & food at the show & Nat. Trust cafe also on site.
*Entries are selling well for the Wilne 10K and standard entries are now sold out. Late entries are available at £2 extra, less than 20% places remaining.
The annual Kimberley Triathlon takes place on Sunday, 22 September. There are also support training workshops available at Kimberley Leisure Centre. Details here.
4. Social events: Do you fancy a Club picnic? There will be one on Sunday, 25 August starting 1.00 pm. Please meet next to the children’s playground (handy for the tram stop!), bring your own picnic and blanket. Games will include: tug-of-war, egg and spoon race, 3-legged race, sack race plus crazy golf competition. All equipment will be provided. Families and friends welcome.
5. Well done to everyone who has raced, including the Heckington 10 in the pouring rain last week. Luckily our Chairman spotted the only pub in the village while on the run and navigated us safely to a dry port afterwards. Congratulations to Paul Hartshorne, completing two thirds of the Outlaw (bike leg cancelled due to conditions), also in the pouring rain (which did not matter so much for the swim). Good luck to everyone racing at the Castle Rock 10K, Teversal and other races this week.
6. Athlete Survey 2019 – all registered members should have received a link to a survey so that England Athletics can understand what its members value most and levels of satisfaction with the current service; closing date 22 August 2019.
Link for checking personal information on the myATHLETICS Portal: https://myathletics.englandathletics.org/portal/members/Login/
If you have any information about races you are planning to run or any news which may be of interest to members, please pass this on to Chris for the newsletter.
Check our Facebook page for updates on routes, races, lift shares and further information. See website at http://beestonac.com/ for information about the cross country, fell and road race leagues in which we participate. Also check our Twitter account at https://twitter.com/beestonac . PBs should be notified to email@example.com , together with time, distance, date and race.