Happy New Year to you all!
Please look out for a reminder from our Treasurer, Juliet Jones, that membership fees become payable for 2020 from 1 January, which has been sent out this week.
1. Club runs 3 January to 8 January 2020 inclusive
Friday, 3 January – there will be a training run from Chilwell Olympia; meet in the foyer at 6.25 for a 6.30 pm depart. Distance 5-7 miles, usually drinks after in the Crown, from 9.00 pm onwards.
Saturday, 4 January – Beeston parkrun, 9.00 am at the Weirfields, Beeston Rylands NG9 1LZ http://www.parkrun.org.uk/beeston/.
Good luck to everyone who has entered the Notts AAA Cross Country County Championships at Shipley Park this afternoon. Further details attached and below.
Sunday, 5 January – as the first East Midlands Cross Country League race of 2020 takes place today, there will be no run from Stanton Gate. Instead, everyone is invited to meet up in advance for a slow run/ warm up from Beeston/Chilwell up to Bramcote Park in good time for the race which starts at 11 am. This is a lovely friendly event, one lap for the ladies (2.5 miles or 4K) and two for the gents (double the distance!), taking in the fields and woods in Bramcote Park. If you haven’t done cross country before, this is a great one to start with.
The Couch to 5K course also starts today at 9.00 am, Chilwell Olympia. Helpers are welcome!
Tuesday, 7 January: The speed session will be back at Ghost House Lane. Meet outside the school on Eskdale Drive, at 6.20 pm for a warm up; session to start 6.30 pm.
Tuesday, 7 January: Tuesday Rebel Runners, Chilwell, The Village Hotel: This is usually a 5K run (sometimes with other options); details of the run are posted weekly on the Rebel Runners Facebook page. Meet 6.30 pm in the foyer for 6.40 pm depart. A new Couch to 5K course starts this week.
2. Upcoming Races on the Calendar
Cross country: Saturday, 4 January 2020 (Shipley) County Championships – details including course map and entry list attached. The ladies’ race is at 11.55 am (7.5K), the men’s race (9.5K) commences 12.35 pm.
Cross country: Sunday, 5 January 2020, 11 am (Bramcote) (East Mids) – parking on Moor Lane, off Derby Road, NG9 3GD. This will be very popular and a large group usually runs or cycles there – please check Facebook for suggested meeting points, perhaps bottom of Cator Lane or further up.
Cross country: 11 January, Wollaton Park (North Mids final race followed by presentation), 1.50 pm ladies, 2.20 pm men.
Cross country: 12 January, Holme Pierrepont (East Mids), 11.00 am
Cross country: 2 February, Colwick (East Mids), 11.00 am
Cross country: 9 February West Park, Long Eaton (East Mids), 11.00 am and usually afterwards in the Tappers Harker
3. Couch to 5K: if you know anyone who wishes to start running, Penny Page and Chris Bexton will be running a C25K programme from Chilwell Olympia, 9.00 am on Sunday mornings starting on 5 January for 8 weeks (the last session will be the ‘graduation’ at Beeston parkrun on 22 February). If you would like to offer help for any of these sessions, you would be most welcome!
The Club has offered to take over the volunteer roster at parkrun on 22 February, ie the morning of the National XC Championships (where we may get some tourists turning up!) and if you would like to be involved, please let me know or get in touch with Beeston parkrun at email@example.com .
4. National Cross Country Championships: Entries are now open for this iconic event on 22 February 2020, and the venue is once again Wollaton Park. Senior Women’s race at 13:40, men’s at 15:00. As this is a national championships, the Club will pay half the entry fee, so please let Charlie Pearce know if you wish to enter, either via the Facebook page or by Messenger/email. Charlie will enter everyone in bulk – please make payment to him of £4.50 via bank transfer no later than Thursday 9th January 2020.
Simon Elliott is looking for volunteers to help marshal a section of the National course – it would involve setting out the course (tapes etc) from about 7.30 am, marshalling the race and taking the stuff down at the end. If you would be willing to help, please let Simon know either by email or via the Facebook post.
In his new role as Social Secretary, Phil Herd has arranged a booking at the Cottage Balti, Chilwell High Road, 6-9 pm for £22 for the evening following the National. If you would like to go please let Phil know via the Facebook post or by email and let him have payment to his bank account – sort code 07-02-46 account 27690214. Vegan options and a range of curries from mild to hot will be available. Last few places!
5. Welcome to: Neil Stevens, new member of Beeston AC: happy running with us!
6. Provisional Summer League dates: Hexgreave 22 April, Holme Pierrepont 27 May, Wollaton Park 17 June, Worksop July date TBC, Teversal 5 August.
7. Club Run: The Club has been successful in a bid under the England Athletics Club Run programme (see https://www.englandathletics.org/clubs-and-facilities/our-programmes/club-run/ for full information). In brief, we are entitled to three coach-led sessions within a 12-week period and the dates for you to note in diaries are: Tuesday, 21 January 2020, Tuesday, 4 February and Wednesday 12th February with a back-up date of 4 March in case bad weather results in cancellation of one of the sessions. Full information will be provided later as to the plans for the sessions. Most sessions are likely to be on the University Park campus.
Link for checking personal information on the myATHLETICS Portal: https://myathletics.englandathletics.org/portal/members/Login/
If you have any information about races you are planning to run or any news which may be of interest to members, please pass this on to Chris for the newsletter.
Check our Facebook page for updates on routes, races, lift shares and further information. See website at http://beestonac.com/ for information about the cross country, fell and road race leagues in which we participate. Also check our Twitter account at https://twitter.com/beestonac . PBs should be notified to firstname.lastname@example.org , together with time, distance, date and race. If you wish to be removed from the circulation list please contact email@example.com with your request.